Friday, September 26, 2008

Infertility is...

This is something that I found and thought it fit. I don't know who wrote it but can definitely relate to a lot of the things she wrote!
Infertility is...
  • Buying and reading books on baby care, and hiding them when company comes.
  • Wanting like crazy to "just look" in the baby section of the department store, but feeling so out of place.
  • Snapping at friends who ask innocent questions and not meaning to. I wish I could explain but...
  • Making love and suddenly realizing that the two of you will never make a baby this way and crying.
  • Seeing the cutest maternity top in the store window, but having no reason to buy it.
  • Trying to rejoice with your friends on her first (or third) pregnancy.
  • Being enemies with your own body.
  • Doctors-hating them, worshiping them.
  • Wondering if you will ever receive a Mother's Day card.
  • Picking a name for your baby, only to grow tired of it.
  • Always going to other people's houses for dinner because they would have to get a babysitter otherwise and it is so much convenient this way.
  • Falling apart. Getting hysterical. Am I losing my insanity?
  • Knowing (better than most) how conception happens, yet having to put up with stupid advice and crude jokes.
  • Redefining 'woman'-(yes, I am still one)!
  • Feeling empty and sad most of the time.
  • Sharing experiences with other infertile couples and finding comfort in that.
  • Wondering where God is.
  • Having an extra bedroom for guests and wishing it was a nursery.
  • Being afraid to take aspirin or do sit-ups.
  • Needing to grieve, but not really knowing how.
  • And then finally...
  • Coming to terms with your own infertility. Acceptance. Peace.
  • Feeling like a whole person again.
  • Not thinking about your infertility first thing in the morning.
  • Actually finding joy mixed in with the pain of Christmas-What a miracle.
  • Discovering life can be happy and satisfying without children or discovering that adoption is a positive way of enlarging your family.
I find that I am actually thankful for my own infertility. It has been a hard experience, but as I have struggled, I have grown. I have learned more about my Heavenly Father, and about being His child than I could have otherwise.
Like I said, I'm not sure who wrote this, but I can relate in so many ways. And I hope I'm on the way to coming to terms with infertility. And finding peace. Though, I have to admit, I'm not there yet!

1 comment:

Beverly said...

I came across your blog on About.com. I was reading through tears the other night when I read all of your blogs. You have a really great way of verbalizing all of the emotions that we go through when dealing with infertility. Most especially what I have also been feeling regarding my faith lately and hearing you talk about it makes me feel like I'm not crazy! Please e-mail me if you ever feel like venting. I have an amazing group of friends, but all that keep popping out babies and just don't understand. ;)