Saturday, October 11, 2008

Plans change...

Plans change and that's okay. I officially called the doctor's office and canceled my IVF. I would have started shots yesterday if I had been doing IVF this month and, to be honest, having pneumonia really takes a lot out of a person. It's been two weeks now since I got sick, and I'm still not 100% recovered. I'm mostly better (I've gone back to work and everything) but I still get tired easily and still have this cough going on. IVF just wasn't in the cards right now. I thought I would be more upset by this postponement but I actually feel good about things. It just wasn't the right time. Plus, this month has been really stressful on Hubbie, and I think he's kind of relieved too that we're not doing IVF. We'll maybe look at doing IVF Dec/Jan. This will give me some time to try (try being a key word) to get in better shape.
On a humorous/ironic note, two weeks ago when I was so sick with pneumonia, guess what life brings me? My first day of no 103 fever, my first day of actually getting up and moving around a little, my first day of solid food (and more than two bites at that), my first day of actually feeling like I might live and along comes the CRAMPS! And I'm thinking to myself, "No, it couldn't be...no, not that..." And I'm remembering how I read in this book about fertility and the female reproductive system that when someone is really sick or has had a really stressful month, that their body will many times skip their period that month. And I'm thinking that if I'm indeed starting my period, it's 2 weeks early. It couldn't possibly be my period...But, alas, it was. And my body didn't hold back-it was my menstrual cycle in all of its glory! In my mind, I picture my ovaries having a conversation that goes something like this:
Leftie: It appears all systems are going down.
Rightie: Respiratory?
Leftie: Not at full capacity. There appears to be a hacking cough and wheezing.
Rightie: Digestive?
Leftie: Down. We're looking at possible dehydration and malnutrition.
Rightie: Circulatory?
Leftie: Not working so well.
Rightie: So you're telling me that the body is sick and the other systems are not performing up to capacity? Those pansies...
Leftie: Correct.
Rightie: Well, we're going to show her that WE are not slackers. We're not going to let something like pneumonia takes us down. I want all systems go!
Leftie: Cramps? Bloating?
Rightie: I want it all! This will be our masterpiece, our finest performance.
Leftie: Aren't we a little early?
Rightie: Who cares about the date! The important thing is that we show her that we are capable of running a menstrual cycle NO MATTER WHAT! Now, move it! Move it! Move it!

By the way, I have a series of ovarian comic strips that I'll have to post someday. I picture my ovaries as very much alive and very much individual from the rest of my body!
Perhaps, at this point, you're wondering if maybe I have some mental issues...mostly just an over-active imagination!

3 comments:

Jessie said...

So this is totally random, but I just thought I would pass it along to you as something to think about. My mom is upset with "natural healing" and herbs. She has made it her life's mission to fix my problems. In turn she has turned my whole family into guinea pigs. Now she sent me a website that is for endo, and apparently it's supposed to help. I read through it and won't pretend that I am not skeptical, but she bought me some to try and won't take no for an answer. So I'm going to try it out soon. I honestly don't expect it to work, but I figure it's worth a shot. It's supposed to help with the cramping and all that too. The website is: http://www.endovan.com/mary.html
Let me know what your thoughts are! I would love a second opinion of someone with similar problems as me.
Sorry to ramble!

Kate said...

Little J and I, will keep practicing our smiling, coo'ing and culinary skills for the time that you need us. Leftie and Rightie are Hillarious! I am glad to see another post, I was starting to get worried.

Jessie said...

Yeah I totally feel that it sounds too good to be true, but my mom wouldn't leave me alone and finally just sent it to my house. She paid so much for it that I feel bad not giving it a try. Guess we'll see! Oh, and I'm gettting my list together for christmas cards, could I get your addy?